CBN BRASIL

Saturday, January 25, 2014

ourview012314

Bob McDonnell: I'll fight these false allegations

The federal government's case rests entirely on a misguided legal theory.

The legal team of former Virginia governor Bob McDonnell didn't respond to requests for an opposing view. Excerpts from McDonnell's statement after his indictment on Tuesday:
I come before you this evening as someone who has been falsely and wrongfully accused and whose public service has been wrongfully attacked. Earlier today, federal prosecutors filed criminal charges against me and my wife, Maureen, alleging that we violated federal law by accepting gifts and loans from Jonnie Williams, the former CEO of Star Scientific.
While I deeply regret accepting these legal gifts and loans from Mr. Williams, all of these now have been returned or repaid, I have apologized for my poor judgment, and I have accepted full responsibility for accepting these legal gifts and loans. However, I repeat again emphatically that I did nothing illegal for Mr. Williams in exchange for what I believe was his personal friendship and generosity.
I never promised, and Mr. Williams and his company never received, any government benefit of any kind from me or my administration: no contract, loan, grant, funding, legislation, budget appropriation, regulation, board or commission appointment, or any other official state benefit. I never promised or attempted to influence anyone to give Mr. Williams or his company any official state benefit. ...
The federal government's case rests entirely on a misguided legal theory, and that is that facilitating an introduction or meeting, appearing at a reception or expressing support for a Virginia business is a serious federal crime if it involves a political donor or someone who gave a gift. The U.S. Supreme Court has already rejected this radical idea, and for good reason because if it were applied as the law of the land, then nearly every elected official, from President Obama on down, would have to be charged with providing tangible benefits to donors.
My administration provided Mr. Williams the same routine courtesies and access to state government that I and every other governor before me afforded to thousands of individuals, companies, charities and other organizations whether they were donors or not. ...
I will use every available resource and avenue that I have, for as long as it takes, to fight and prevail against these false allegations and the unjust overreach of the federal government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Biden announces $9 billion in student loan relief President Biden on Wednesday announced another $9 billion in student debt relief. About 12...